Can a landlord change a rental agreement without my knowledge or signing something myself?

I have a rental agreement an I read through it, an it clearly states that I am on a month to month lease but I had signed up for 9 months. It says that I can give a 30 day notice an they will keep my deposit. But when I went to talk to the landlord they told me that they do something totally different an said the lease I signed was no good an they can do what ever they want. Can they change the rules with out me signing something.

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you signed a written lease for the unit you are living in, its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. If the landlord is trying to change the terms of the written lease you have with him or her, the only way it can be changed is if you agree to it.

Otherwise, the written lease you have controls. The written lease cannot be unilaterally changed by your landord and be binding upon you unless you sign a written document to that effect.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.