Can a judge reopen a juvenile case to reduce the charges for military service?

I know that it can be expunged; the military doesn’t take candidates with felonies.

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

By law, once a conviction has been entered for a criminal offense, a Judge alone cannot simply reduce the charge without a supporting motion from the prosecutor to do so. Typically, if a felony conviction appears on your criminal record, even as a juvenile, then you will have to go through the process of having it expunged from your criminal record. Sometimes juvenile records are sealed from the public, but if your conviction is public record, then you will need to follow your State's expungement eligibility requirements to have your conviction set aside.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.