Can a judge make a decision on a dissolution of marriage without the defendant being served and present at court?

If the defendant was not personally served or signed for certified mail can the judge make a ruling in favor of the petitioner without the contest of the defendant?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Family Law, Oklahoma


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The Respondent would have to be served personally with a summons or given notice by publication.  If the summons has been served, a respondent would have 30 days to file a response or an appearance or risk having a default judgment entered against them.  I don't believe any judge in the State would enter an order of dissolution without proper notice to the respondent.

For more information on Divorce, visit my website at:

David Lee


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.