Can a judge enforce a settlement agreement I did not sign?

Insurance company I sued for claim denial put forth a take nothing settlement. I refused to sign it. Later, the judge “enforced” the settlement. Can he do this?

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Insurance Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you agreed to a settlement agreement on the record before a judge with respect to a dispute (where no written settlement agreement has been signed) the court under the laws of all states can enforce the settlement agreement read onto the record in court.

If the above is not the situation with respect to you, then most likely the court does not have the power to enforce the settlement that you write about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.