Can a job terminate due to a dent in company car?

I was making my delivery rounds and I noticed their was no street parking, so I decided to go into a garage and park. However, I failed to notice that my truck didn’t have enough clearance, consequently I dented the top. I informed my boss when I returned to work that same day. He took pictures and filed a police report; no other car was involved. It was an accident, so I was write-up and I worked another week until my boss said his boss terminated me. My boss told me he fought hard for me to keep me but to no avail. I was on the job 4 weeks no other issues at the job. Is this legal?

Asked on September 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Absent some form of actionable discrimination being the reason for your treatment or this action violating the terms of an employment contract/union agreemnt, your firing was perfectly permissable under the law. The fact is that a worker can be discharged for the reason that you give, or for any reason or for no reason at all, with or without notice. In an "at will" employment relationship, a company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit  and deems approperiate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.