Can a husband stop paying his alimony without going through a lawyer because his income has decreased due to his business?

Asked on February 15, 2016 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A court order can only be modifed by a court, which means that a party subject to such an order cannot unilaterally change it. If it were that easy, then such orders wouldn't be worth the paper that they are written on. If your ex-husband's income has changed and is now subtantially lower, he will have to go back to court and ask a judge to modify the amount that he is to pay. After reviewing the evidence presented, the judge may or may not comply with the request. Until then, if you ex pays you less than what he has legally been ordered to pay, he can be held to be incontempt of court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.