Can a hair removal company be held liable if there product injured me?

I have used a shaving powder which claims that it helps prevent irritation from shaving, including razor bumps. It also says helps remove hair. However after following directions very carefully, it stated to test it first using a small amount then waiting 24 hours to see if any type of irritation occurred, which didn’t. The directions then said to leave on for 5-7 minutes which I did. However, I was severely burned all across my face where my beard was. I was bleeding, skin is full of red scaring like as if I was severely burned, which I feel that I have. It is day 2 and I am still in a lot of pain and have used aloe vera to try to cool it down. It still looks as bad as yesterday. I have read the label and it does not warn me of any type of severe burning or potential there of. Can they be held liable?

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


Janet Martin / Janet Martin Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Sounds pretty clear yes they can be liable. you should take pictures, video, definitely see a doctor if you haven't already to document the burns and contact a personal injury attorney. I do have a colleague who can talk to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.