Can a girl scout camp be held liable for property lost while in their possession?

My daughter went to a girl scout camp in PA. Their literature includes a disclaimer that they cannot be help responsible for lost property. She was required at the end of camp to turn over all of her possessions to camp personnel for transport to another location for me to pick up. When I arrived, one of her riding boots was missing. Since the boot was lost while in the required possession of the camp, can they be help liable to replace the boot?

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney, and the legal question here is one that isn't answered the same way in every state:  does a disclaimer of liability protect against the disclaiming party's sole negligence?  With or without specific words saying that?  Translated to english and applied to your question, can they use this disclaimer to get out of what had to have been their fault?

Can you absolutely prove, other than your daughter saying so, that she gave them both riding boots?  That would be a necessary part of the equation here, even if the law in your state is favorable.

The trouble is, we're talking about one riding boot.  I can't imagine that a new pair of riding boots is expensive enough to justify spending time and money litigating over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.