Can a fiancee challenge a Will?

I lost my fiancee to cancer 5 months ago. We were together for 16 years and lived in my house all that time. He was very sick the last 4 months his life. I was his caregiver. I tried to speak to him about a Will but he was uncomfortable talking about it. His long-estranged

daughter finally showed up at the hospital about a week before he died. I didn’t know until after he died that she brought a will with her and got him to sign it, leaving everything to her and nothing to me. He was on morphine and dilaudid for many weeks. She insists he was lucid when he signed it. Would it be possible for me to challenge the Will?

Asked on April 23, 2016 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

IF there was a prior will leaving you part of his estate and the new will changed or replaced it, you could challenge it, as you are an "interested party"--someone affected by the will. Of course, the will would only be set aside if you can show that he was not mentally competent when he signed it (such as due to medication), or was threatened/coerced or duped/tricked into signing, or that it was not his signature (e.g. she forged it), or that it was procedurally defective (didn't have enough witnesses or wasn't properly notarized). Otherwise, if the will was properly created, it will be valid and enforceable, even if it is unfair.
If there was no prior will, however (or there was an earlier will, but you did not inherit under it, either), you can't challenge it. "Fiance" is not a legal relationship: it gives you no legal rights. A fiance does not inherit when there is no will; therefore, if there was no prior will naming you, you would not have inherited anything, anyway. That means that this will did not change anything for you or harm you in any way, and so you are not an interested party (not a person with anything at stake) and cannot bring a legal action to challenge the will. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.