Can a federal wire fraud case be dropped if the witness wants to dropit and handle the matter privately?

I am be prosecuted for federal wire fraud from family. I was informed through another family member that the witnesses who are related to me now want to drop case and handle case privately. I need to know how can this be done and can it be done? She i consult with a criminalk law attoreny? In St. Charles County, MO.

Asked on August 30, 2011 Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are facing prosecution for federal wire fraud, get a criminal defense attorney--IMMEDIATELY. And do not talk to anyone without your attorney's approval and guidance (e.g. exercise your constitutional right against self incrimination, commonly known as the right to remain silent).

The witnesses can *not* drop the case--unlike a civil matter, whether to pursue the case or not is not up to them. The governmentis the party prosecution you, and it's up to the government whether to continue to not. If the witnesses refuse to cooperate, the government has the power to supboena them to testify. The government  *may* choose to drop the matter if the witnesses are no longer willing to pursue it, but that remains the government's choice. An experienced defense attorney can evaluate the best way to approach or negotiate with the government, to get them to drop the matter (best case) or at least reduce negotiate a favorable deal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.