Can a father take a daughter away from her mother if the mother is labeled “paranoid”?

The father and mother are both jobless. The mother and child are living with her parents in India. The mother, father and child are all US cirizens.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as there is no court order prohibiting the father who is married to a spouse who may have some "issues" and the father has custody under the eyes of the law of the minor child, under the vague fact situation there is nothing illegal per se for the father to separate the child from its mother. I suggest that before such happens a family law attorney be first consulted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.