Can an employer use your bonus money, sick time and vacation hours as regular payroll for deductions weeks after they fired you?

My employer fired me on the 16the of this month. I had a bonus, sick time and vacation hours that was owed to me. Instead of cutting me a check the same day or even a day later, they are stretching it out over a 3 week period, using it to deduct medical charges that the company provides, although I’m no longer employed by them saying that they have to finish paying it for the month.

Asked on August 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Actually, your employer is not required to pay for unused sick time or vacation time when your employment terminates, unless and only if there was a policy in place at the employer that they pay for these things. So if there was such a policy, they'd have to follow-it; but if there was no policy to pay out unused vacation or sick leave, they don't need to pay it at all--or alternately, could use it the way they are.
As to bonus pay, if there was a policy that you'd be paid it even if your employment terminates, they have to pay you as per that policy. But it would be legal to not pay on termination, so if there was no policy in place guarantying you this money, they again could do what they have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.