Can an employer fire you for not signing a contract?

I was given a contract and that was told I needed to sign it that day or it would be my last day at work. I said I wanted a lawyer to see it. My boss then said okay but to bring it back when I came to work. I did and was prepared to work but before I started, I told her I was refusing to sign the contract. She then said I had to resign from my job. I said no I’m not resigning she then told me to go home that day that she had to talk to her boss. It been two days n I do not know if I am being fired or what.

Asked on May 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your employer can tell you that if you don't sign a contract, you will be terminated. The fact is that a company generally can set the terms of employment much as it sees fit. The exceptions to this would be if such treatment constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination or violates company policy or the terms of any applicalbe union agreement or employment contract. Further, you did not specify the content of the contract but it if was for an illegal or morally objectionable purpose, then your firing would also be illegal. If you are not willing to sign, your recourse is to refuse and risk termination or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.