Can a employer fire me for something not in my job description?

I work at a group facility for behavioral teens. They are served meals no where in my job description does it say I must sweep and mop the kitchen floor and do the dishes. They have just recently started making us do this. Can I ask for a raise for these extra tasks or say, “No it’s not in my job description” or can they fire me for not doing what I’m asked?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your employer asks you should do it. If you don't you risk losing your job. In an "at will" employment relationship, an employer can set the terms and conditions much as it sees fit; this includes changing job duties, with or without a corresponding pay increase. For an employee's perspective, they can continue working for them or not.

The fact is that an employee can be fired with or without notice for any reason or no reason at all. That is unless their treatment is the result of actionable discrimination or it violates existing company policy or a term of an employment contract or union agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.