Can a driver be sued for damages to a vehicle that they borrowed?

My 19 year old son was using a friend’s car an was in a accident. He had no license or insurance. The

friend is now harassing my son and making threats to report the car stolen.

Asked on April 17, 2017 under Accident Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your son can be sued by the registered owner of the car for negligence for being at fault in the accident.
Your son is liable for the property damage (cost of repairs) to the car. The registered owner of the vehicle is also liable for the accident and can recover the amount of a court judgment against him from your son.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.