Can a divorce be completed without any notification to the other party?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes and no.  Some states allow for divorce without notice only upon showing that the party attempted to give their spouse notice several different ways, but those attempts failed.  If your spouse knows where you are and they failed to serve you, then most states allow you to overturn the divorce because of the lack of notice.  You should contact a local family law attorney and see what your state law says about vacating a family law judgment for defiency of service. 

Best of luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.