Can a dealership be sued for lying about a down payment?

I recently purchased a vehicle and has a $2000 down payment. When the bank called welcoming us and went over our loan payments and other things they said that they required no down payment.. When we asked the dealership about the $2000 we were told the bank is lying and that we could not speak with a manager. The bank is mailing the loan paperwork to me to confirm what they have said they are very helpful. I am currently a soldier deployed overseas to afghanistan and i feel like my wife was taken advantage of is there any legal action i can take on this dealership?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under General Practice, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not there is a required down payment for the vehicle that you are purchasing would be set forth in the written paper work (purchase contract) that you signed. As such you need to carefully read the purchase contract carefully in that the document controls the obligations owed to you by the dealership and vice versa.

If there has been a misrepresenttion by the dealership as to your down payment of $2,000 where its representative has lied to you, you very well could have a legal and factual basis for bringing a lawsuit.

As such, I recommend that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of consumer law to further assist you in your matter after you have carefully read your purchase contract for the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.