Can a credit card company take a scheduled payment 6 days early from your bank account?

I recently had this happen and it through my budget off. By the bank doing this it cost me a $10 fee from my bank.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to review the policies of the credit card company and see how it takes payments when you have it scheduled by computer to pay on a certain date. Normally, it is the exact opposite. When you schedule it for let's say the due date on the bill statement, the credit card company's records will show it paid on the due date (so you don't incur late or finance charges if you pay the balance off for example) but the money is usually not totally debited from your bank account until days later. In this situation, first email the company and explain the date you scheduled for payment and the date the company took the money. Ask the credit card company to credit you 10.00 or to help you get that fixed with the bank. At most, you may need to call a few times to get a knowledgable manager or you may need to contact the company's regulator.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.