Can a court or 3rd party collection agency call and ask for money for a citation for open container and failure to appear from 28 years ago?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I see nothing improper under the laws for a court representative or a collection agency to call and ask for money concerning a fine arising from an open container unit and a failure to appear more than twenty-eight (28) years ago.

The problem I see as to being able to collect the fine is that it might be time barred from collection under the laws of your state if it was not renewed after a period of ten (10) years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.