Can a company revoke PTO benefits from employees 2 1/2 months after takeover having promised to leave benefits in place for said employees?

Asked on October 18, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the company was an LLC or corporation and the employees are still employeed by the same LLC or corporation, then the employees are entitled to all PTO benefits earned or accrued to date up to the announcement of a change in policy, but the company may change the policy at will going forward so long as there are no written employment contracts still in effect which lock-in the benefits. Benefits that have already been earned are part of compensation earned for work previously/already done, and the company can't change that retroactively.
If the employees are no longer employeed by the same LLC or corporation they were previously employed, then, however, the new person or LLC or corporation the employees are working for and if it's not the same LLC or corporation, it is a new one, even using the same name, same staff, working out of the same location, etc. is not obligated by the PTO earned previously, under the old company, and does not have to honor it, even if they had promised they would.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.