Can a company refuse to pay me

On friday night i was sent out by a day labor company worked from 6pm until
230am and was supposed to get paid satuday morning now the company says i
have to wait until tuesday because i need to fill out application my
question is how can they send me out to work without a application on file

Asked on September 2, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is not refusing to pay you your wages; they are just delaying paymentt until your paperwork is completed. This is legal and does not give rise to a wage claim. If you still do not receive your wages after all paperwork is finished, then you could sue your employer in small claims couet or file a claim with your state's depaetment of labor.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, they are not refusing to pay you; they are requiring you to complete certain paperwork before paying you. That is legal. Yes, it would have been better to do that ahead of time, but it's not illegal to do it after the fact, etither. Complete the paperwork; if they still don't pay you after that, then you would have a legal claim against them and could sue them for money they owe you for the work they did.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.