Can a company hold a policy against you if there is no proof that you actually received it?

I was employed by a county as a teacher. I was told about a month into the first semester that I had until the end of the school year to obtain my provisional teaching license, which I did. The

county came back and terminated my contract because I did not finish a state test that the county also requires by the end of the school year. They claimed that I was notified of this policy but I was only notified of the license policy. Don’t they have to have proof that I received the policy in order to hold that against me?

Asked on August 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Until and unless you have a written employment contract and/or are protected by a union or collective bargaining contract, you are an employee at will. An employee at will may be terminated, or have her employment not renewed or continued, at any time, for any reason, including patently unfair ones, such as not fulfilling requirements of which she had no or insufficient notice. So, except as set out in a contract, you could be terminated for thus reason.
If you did have, or were covered by, a contract, you need to review the terms of the contract to see what it says about this situation. You cannot be terminated in violation of the contract; if you were, you could sue for breach of contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.