Can a company based in Canada sue a US company for copyright infringement?

Asked on March 30, 2015 under Business Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The Canadian company can sue the U.S. company.

If the lawsuit is filed in the U.S., it is filed in federal court located in the judicial district where the company is located.  Federal court has jurisdiction when the plaintiff and defendant in the lawsuit are in the U.S. and Canada.

If the lawsuit is filed in Canada, it would be advisable to speak with a Canadian attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.