Can a citizen of another country be brought back for a civil case?

I am named in a personal injury lawsuit as a secondary defendant and the primary defendant is from another country and gone back to that country. Can they force this individual to come back for a civil trial? It was an automobile involved accident and all the insurance companies deemed that I was at 0% liable but they’re still putting me on the lawsuit. I feel like the plaintiff is naming me because they can’t bring the non-citizen back who was at 100% fault.

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I don't see how the plaintiff can force the foreigner to come back for a civil suit. However, if there is a court order issued against the foreigner, it can be enforced whenever the foreigner comes back to the country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.