Can a child diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, legally move out of his parents’ house without their consent, at the age of 18?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Asperger's syndrome is on one side of the autism spectrum or a form of autism but it does not render the individual unable to care for himself or herself. If the person is living normally and isn't severally affected by the Asperger's, then there is no reason to have issue with this person moving out. He or she is now legally an adult. If the mental state, however, is less than that of a young adult or this person has been legally declared incompetent or unable to care for himself or herself, then there may be a need to involve a guardian ad litem and the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.