Can a charter school fire a varsity softball couch for misappropriation of funds although the parents handled all fundraising monies and turned in all reciepts to the booster club as instructed?

Parents had a new softball uniform fundraiser and purchased them without going through the school booster club. This was done with the athletic director’s knowledge, softball coach was fired mid-season for, they say, misappropriation of funds. Santa Rosa Academy, Menifee Ca A petition was turned in with over 600 signatures and the teammates addressed the stone cold faces of the school board. All that is asked is the coach be able to be back on the field to finish the season. Would appreciate your understanding of this sad situation.

Asked on April 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The short answer is, if the couch did not have an employment contract (including a union agreement, if there any unions at this school) which limits the reasons for termination, or which requieres that a certain process or procedure be followed for termination, then yes, the school could fire him. Without an employment contract, the couch was an "employee at will," and, as the term implies, an employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.