Can a charge be dropped due to jurisdictional issues?

My husband has been charged with breach of trust under $1000 for doing a side job. The charges were brought in the county where the owner of the business lives but not where the business is located. I was wondering if the charges could be dropped because of being filed in the wrong jurisdiction? Also, can the company have licence in one county and have the actual business in another county without having a licence in that county as well?

Asked on March 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The issue you raise as to licensing needs to have more information in order to be able to give any guidance.  Some business are licensed by the state and not the individual counties so their licenses are good anywhere within the state.  Counties may require that they register as doing business but again: the type of business is what matters.  Now, it is my understanding that a breach of trust charge is akin to an embezzlement charge.  To convict you of breach of trust, the state will have to prove that there was a fiduciary, or trust, relationship, and that something was taken in violation of that trust. The state must also prove that you had the intent to defraud the alleged victim. The potential penalties for breach of trust are based on the dollar amount alleged to have been taken or the value of the property alleged to have been stolen. Under $1000.00 is a misdemeanor punishable by 30 days.  If the County does not have jurisdiction over the matter that is something for your attorney to raise.  But be aware that the matter may then be brought again in the correct county.  Get legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.