Can a certified marriage consent be accepted as the same as a marriage certificate at probate?

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

At probate you have to have the utmost legally accurate and specific information. If you are speakinig about a consent for a minor to marry, nothing will be considered in place of the actual marriage certificate. Same issue applies to adults. You need to ensure you get a certified copy of the marriage certificate by simply going to the county office wherein the license was obtained and certificate was registered. If there is a concern about the line of intestacy for probate matters, the court will likely not consider anything other than the actual item, unless there is sufficient hardship or impossibility shown as a result of let's say records were lost or could not be notarized or recovered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.