Can a case dismissed with prejudice still go through arbitration?

Personal injury case shows on case
search it was dismissed with prejudice
in New Jersey. Arbitration hearing that
was set for a few weeks later shows it
was cancelled. I am told it is still going
through arbitration process 1 year later.
Is that even possible?

Asked on November 26, 2018 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If the case had been dismissed without prejudice, then it could have been reintated. However, that was not the situation here. The case was dismissed with predjudice, accordingly it cannot be reinstated as it has officially ended. In other words, the plaintiff is barred from filing a lawsuit on the same issue at a later date.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Since the case was dismissed with prejudice, it has ended and cannot be reinstated.  Therefore, there won't be any arbitration or other proceedings in this matter.
If the case had been dismissed without prejudice, it could have been reinstated in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.