Can a case be made for punitive damages regarding a sexual incident between a brother and sister at the ages of 8 and 12 that happened 50 years ago?

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations in most states would have long since passed.  the possible exception to the rule is if the menories of the abuse were repressed and only receinbtly recovered.  You must speak with an experienced attorney. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.