Can a car insurer take my income tax refund if I owe them money feom a car accident?

Asked on February 14, 2013 under Accident Law, North Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the funds from a tax refund are something a creditor, including a judgment creditor or an insurer, can reach if you owe it money. Most sources of funds can be reached by a creditor; it's only a few types, like social security or other retirement (pension or 401) funds that are exempted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.