Can a Business Registered as eCommerce be involved in another type of Software Business


I recently registered an LLC in Boston, MA as eCommerce and Software Development
company. Can the company also invovle in software consulting services, act as
consultancy agency and place our contractors at client location? Also, can we bid
for software contracts and provide outsourcing software development services to

Thanks in advance for your time.

Esther S

Asked on March 11, 2018 under Business Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Asa general rule a business is not restricted as to the type of business it can conduct so laong as it is a lawful enterpise; this is true no matter what it originally registered as.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can do this. Businesses are not limited to what they initially registered as--a business may essentially conduct any legal or lawful business, and can expand or change its lines of busienss at will. Certain fields may require specific licenses (e.g. property management generally requires a realtor's license), but that is a function of the requirements of the specific businesses you want to into. What you describe does not appear to require any such specific licenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.