Can a business owner file an injunction against a former employee to prevent the former employee from contacting current employees?

An employee quit her job after being disciplined for her behavior on the job. After leaving her employ, she called a former supervisor still employed several times to yell and curse because of past decisions that the supervisor made. The former employee has attempted to return as a customer and was told by the owners to not return, which is at the owner’s discretion and is explained in the employee handbook. She has not returned but will call on a semi-daily basis in attempts to return if the owners are not present. She has recently called to yell and curse at her former supervisor again after a family member was turned away attempting to conduct business in her stead. As a business owner, can an injunction be filed against the former employee to not have contact with any current employees of the business or would the individual employees need to file for their own injunctions?

Asked on May 25, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The business owner can seek an order that the person not contact the business ever, or its employees *during business hours at work*: that is his interest, in preventing business disruption. But it is not his business (so to speak)--and he has no legal right or standing--to interfere with her contact with individual employees other than at work; those people, if they don't want to be contacted, have to take their own action(s).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.