Can a bank accept a higher offer than the one we already agreed and signed on?

We offered 335K on a bank owned house. They accepted and typed up an offer addendum. Which I signed. Before the bank signed it, a family offered 10K more than our previously settled amount. They are taking the other families offer. Their addendum says:RIGHT TO ACCEPT OTHER OFFERS: Seller reserves the right to continue to offer the property for sale and to accept any offer acceptable to Seller at any time prior to Buyer acceptance and communication of acceptance by signing below.I had already communicated acceptance and signed. Do I have any grounds for legal action?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Utah


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you really want this particular house, run, do not walk, to an attorney's office, with all of the paperwork, for advice you can rely on.  You may have the right to force the bank to sell the house to you at your price, but if you don't act on that right fairly quickly you will probably lose it.

One place to find a lawyer who can explain your rights, and enforce them if it's possible, is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.