If a babysitter is arrested just because illegal drugs are found in the home she is working in, should she get an attorney?

Asked on August 17, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Any time criminal charges are involved, an attorney should be consulted. An experienced defense attorney can possibly get the charge thrown out or at least reduced. It will depend on the evidence. Simply being present at the home will more than likely not be enough. Again, seek legal representation.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

She can be arrested if there is reason to believe, such as from the location of the drugs, fingerprints, the testimony of other people, and/or other evidence that the drugs were hers. For example, say that the drugs were found on the open in a room in which the babysitter was in next to, in, or or under her bag or that that the children testified that they say the babysitter with or using the drugs--in those cases, clearly she could be arrested. So the answer depends on what the evidence suggests or says.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.