Can a 28 year old male take a 17 year old female out of state without parental consent?

Even though she doesn’t live at home? Is this considered kidnapping?

Asked on October 31, 2013 under Criminal Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

To take a minor out of state based upon what you have written about where you are an adult is a dangerous proposition where you could be deemed in violation of many child endangerment laws and statutes. The reason is that a minor under the law is deemed not capable of giving informed consent. It matters not of the minor does not live at home and a kidnapping charge could result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.