Can a 21 year old go to prison if he got a 17 year old pregnant?

My girlfriend is 17 but turning 18 in 2 months; I just recently turned 21. The baby wont be born until after my girlfriend turns 18 but I wasn’t sure if the hospital would still report it. I would like to know the best thing to do.

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The most practical thing I can advise you to do is to have a home birth.  Statutory rape covers anyone having sex under the age of 18.  Whether or not she consented, whether or not you were both under 18, whether or not you two are in a happy and committed relationship.  If the D.A.'s office gets word of what happened here, you may be facing jail time. 

Best of luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.