Can a 17 year old child move from one parent’s home to the other without the consent of the leagal gaurdiani in the state of missouri?

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Family Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Missouri a minor is defined as under the age of 18.  If you are considered a minor, by law you are under "Parental Control".

In Missouri there is no emancipation statute; however parental rights can be terminated in one of three ways: 1) your parents may give express consent to a court that they are waiving their parental rights; 2) your parents may give implied consent, which would apply in situations where you have been living on your own, supporting yourself, and for all practical purposes your parents have relinquished their parental rights; and 3) you experience a significant change in your societal status; for example an enlistment in the military or marriage.  The termination of parental rights requires the ruling of a judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.