Can a 16 year old minor marry a 19 year old if the minor is pregnant?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that a minor may marry in California if there is filed with the county clerk the following documents:  (1)The written consent of the minor’s parents/parent/guardian; and (2)A court order granting permission to the underage person to marry.   You have a very serious situation here given his age and sex offender laws.  Please seek help asap for him and please seek out an adult you trust here for yourself.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.