Can a 12 year old child be held accountable for state surcharges due to truancy if the parent withdrew the child?

I am 18 years old now and I was trying to get my license but they told me I have surcharges. I look, and they are from 6 years ago when I was 12 years old. I accrued these surcharges when my mother withdrew me from school and then ignored the legal consequences? Can I be held responsible when I had no say in the matter and can I be held in contempt of court?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states with respect to truancy issues a minor child is assessed such due to the fact that each state has mandatory laws requiring the attendance at school by a child under the age of 18 years.

You are held responsible for these charges under the law in addition to your parent(s) under the law. I do not see you being held in contempt of court for these charges.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of education law to assist you in getting these surcharges resolved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.