If a tenant is ending their lease early, canthey find a replacement or dothey have to pay for the landlord’s property manager to find a replacement?

We have 3 months left on a 1 year lease. We need to move out early (non-legal reasons). We have given written notice and have scheduled a walk-through with the landlord. Now, the landlord wants to charge us $1150 to find someone to fill our vacancy (he says that is why the property management company will charge him). We have offered (in writing) to find a list of interested tenants via Craigslist to avoid having to pay. When we moved in, we did not go through his “property management team”. We found our landlord’s ad on Craigslist.

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are ending your lease prematurely and want to sublease out the balance of the three months left on it, there should be nothing stopping you from doing so on your own as opposed to paying the $1,150 that the property management company would charge. I suggest that you consult with your landlord further about the situation and see if he or she would be willing to accept a tenant that you find.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.