Does a landlord need to provide receipts to former tenants, even if work has not been completed or may be different than itemized?

Landlord took possession of the property once the current lease expired. Tenant provided an itemized move out statement and good faith estimates to justify the landlord’s keeping a portion of security deposit for excessive wear and tear, as well as returning home to condition before it was rented. Landord has not provided paid receipts because home is not longer being rented and landlord is contemplating a remodel?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the tenant challenges the amount of the security deposit withheld by the landlord, the landlord will need to provide itemized proposals, receipts, bills, etc. to support the withholding; if the landlord does not voluntarily provide them, the tenant can sue for the return of some or all of the deposit and force the landlord to provide them in court (including in small claims court).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.