California- Change from Right if Survivorship to Sole and separate

Mother and Son purchase a property together.
Mother does not want her 50 to go to the son on
title. Title currently is with the right of survivorship

Asked on September 12, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

An owner of real estate cannot be made to relinguish their ownership rights or change such rights in any way, at least not without their consent. A deed may only be changed with the agreement of all parties on it.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

It can't be changed unless everyone on the deed--that is, the son and the mother, in this case--all agree to the change. One owner cannot be made to give up or change any of his rights agaisnt his will. If the son will not agree to the change, the deed will stay as is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.