By signing a release for a sum of money settlement, will the health insurance company require reimbursement for what they paid out in medical bills?

The injuries were due to a car accident.

Asked on June 6, 2014 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Check your insurance policy and any/all agreements you signed with the insurer. Insurance policies are contracts; insurers can do anything the policy gives them the right to do--and no more than that. If the policy or the agreements you signed in getting the policy give your insurer the right to "subrogation"--or to "step into your shoes" in regards to claims for damages--then yes, they would have the right to recover from any settlement or award you get an amount equal to their own expenditures (e.g. what they paid you for injuries flowing from the accident).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.