If I’m being sued for breach of contract and only have 10 days to respond, how do I proceed?

I have already been served.

Asked on September 12, 2013 under Business Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to get to an attorney as soon as possible.  You will want a civil litigation attorney.  You can search for one here or try Martindale.com or Avvo.com.  There are many online directories.  If you try to do this by yourself, you likely will lose signifcantly more money to the plaintiff than you would otherwise pay an attorney to defend and hopefully settle this.  You many even have counter claims to bring.  But you need to retain an attorney right away.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.