What to do if f I did repairs to my building myself and replaced some windows and a door but now I’ve I received a letter from the city that I needed a permit for this?

Asked on September 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you did need a permit (you can check this for yourself, in the local building code, which should be available online or in person at the city clerk's or housing/building office), then you have to do what it takes to get the permit--get the work properly inspected, or possibly even have the repairs redone by a licensed contractor who obtains a permit upfront. If you don't, you could face significant fines and could have trouble selling the building, since you'd have to disclose to buyers that it has permitting issues (if you did not disclose, you'd be committing fraud and could be sued).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.