If my brother just passed and my mom is the executor of his Will, what do we do now?

Do we file the will with the courthouse? Do we probate it? Do we need the death


Asked on September 6, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You may or may not need to probate your brother's will.  Texas allows small estates to be administered through what are called 'affidavits of heirship.'  Basically, all of the potential heirs sign documents agreeing as to what should happen.  However, larger estates are and should be probated.  To determine whether or not your brother's estate is subject to probate, make a list of all of your brother's assets and gather any potential documentation of the same.  Then take the list and documents to a probate attorney and they can advise you of the specific need (or absence of need) for a probate. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.