Can a dealership sell a used car with a broken CD player?

I recently just purchased a use vehicle from a dealership and the vehicle was sold to me with a broken CD player and I also took the vehicle to my own mechanic to have it checked out and found that the sway bar was loose and I needed an alignment. I’m still under a 30 day warranty but the service department said that the sway bar isn’t covered under warranty and that they are not going to fix it. I didn’t buy the car as is and I wasn’t told that the CD player was broken. Also, they’re refusing to fix the sway bar because they say it has nothing to do with steering so therefore it’s not covered under warranty.

Asked on October 30, 2011 under General Practice, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a car dealership can sell a used car with a cd player that does not operate properly to a customer. The issue is whether or not the car dealership knew that the cd player was not working when it sold you the car. If it did, the car dealership had an affirmative obligation to advise you of this fact.

If the dealership refuses to fix the cd player for you, your option is to pay to have it fixed yourself and bring a small claims court action against the dealership seeking reimbursement for the costs of its repair.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.