Broke off engagement of 5 years and moved out. Both of our names are on mortgage. How do I get my name off of mortgage?

What are my legal rights concerning above question if I have no interest in the house.?

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Estate Planning, Michigan


John Tatone / John R. Tatone & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You would have to sue to partition the property and force him/her to sell, if they are not willing to refinance the property to remove you.  Contact me if you need my help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.