Breaks and Meals

How can you work 8hrs a day and not be entitled to a 30min lunch? I did this for over 2yrs at a company. No breaks no Lunch,is this even legal?

Asked on May 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

NV requires that employers provide both meal and rest breaks. Employees must be given a 30-minute meal break if they will work for 8 or more continuous hours, so long as the company has 2 or more employees. That having been said, the state labor commissioner may grant an exception to this law if an employer can prove that business necessity prevents it from giving breaks for meals. As for rest breaks, employers must give its workers a paid 10 minute break for every 4 hours that an employee works that an employee works. If practicable, these breaks must be given in the middle of the work period. As is true for meal breaks, rest breaks are only required of buinsesses with at least 2 employees and an employer can get an exemption from the rest break requiremen if it can demonstrate that business necessity prevents it from providing these breaks. Accordingly, depending on the type of business that you work for and the job that you do, you may or may not be eligible for meal/rest breaks. At this point you can contact your state's department of labor for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.